Monday, November 11, 2013

dark chocolate peanut butter swirl cookies


My mom and I are putting together another care package for my brother, so I baked up some cookies to send along. We also found out that he has no cookie sheets (and I'm guessing any other baking pans?) where he lives, which just blew my mind. Like, whoa. But I guess I was just fantastically lucky living in a dorm with a fully stocked kitchen on each floor.


wet ingredients only

Anyways, I spent forever choosing a cookie recipe that was sufficiently awesome but also didn't require another trip to the grocery store. Seriously, going to the grocery store is now such an ordeal, even though there's one right in my neighborhood; I'm definitely spoiled by four years of having the store being a block away. I finally stumbled across this recipe for a soft-baked peanut butter chocolate chip swirl cookie, which I deemed good enough to try. But those chocolate marshmallows finished off the last of my cocoa powder. Plus, I had no chocolate chips. Gasp, I know. But I did have a ton of dark chocolate, so, substitutions. I also had a long debate on whether I should add cornstarch to make the cookies even chewier, but I ended up deciding to stay on the safe side and not. Whatever, nobody cares about my thought process. Here, have another cookie picture.

this is what happens when you don't spread your cookies out enough.

This recipe is a little time consuming, but it's really straightforward. The chocolate part is really sticky, so chilling it for two hours is preferred, unless you like wasting a ton of dough by having it stick to your hands. But they make huge, chewy cookies, which is exactly what I was going for.

DARK CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER SWIRL COOKIES
Adapted from Sally's Baking Addiction

CHOCOLATE COOKIE DOUGH
3 oz dark chocolate, chopped (or dark chocolate chips)
5 Tbsps unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar (light or dark)
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup (130g) all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp milk

PEANUT BUTTER COOKIE DOUGH
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar (light or dark)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup peanut butter (I used chunky)
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt

Make the chocolate cookie dough: Melt the dark chocolate over a double boiler, or in the microwave in 30-second bursts, stirring often. Pull off heat and let cool a little. Cream together butter and sugars in a stand or hand mixer until light and fluffy. Add in the melted chocolate. Beat in the egg and vanilla, scraping the sides and bottom as needed. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix into wet ingredients. Add in the milk. Transfer to another container if needed.

Make the peanut butter cookie dough: Cream together butter and sugars in a stand or hand mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in the peanut butter, egg, and vanilla, beating until fully incorporated before adding the next ingredient. Scrape down sides and bottom of bowl as needed. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix into wet ingredients.

Chill both doughs, uncovered, for 1-2 hours.

Preheat oven to 350F. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper or silicone mat.

Roll 2 Tbsp of chocolate cookie dough into a ball. Roll another 2 Tbsp of peanut butter cookie dough into a ball.  Smoosh both dough balls together, and smooth into one. Repeat for rest of dough. Leave at least 2-3 inches between each cookie; they spread a lot. Bake for 11-12 minutes. They won't look done, but will continue to firm up as they cool on the cookie sheet.

Cookies last for at least a week at room temperature in an airtight container.

Makes 24 cookies

No comments: