Sunday, August 7, 2016

CSA 2016 | Week 8

Recap of last week:
what's left: cucumbers, bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, basil, green beans, cabbage, carrots, lettuce.
good things: not food related, but I took a free SUP class last week and it was super fun. Pretty sure my technique is still wrong, but at least I didn't fall off the board. I'm headed out again this weekend to do some more paddleboarding. 
lessons learned: nothing this week.
Here's what came in my box this week.

Green beans - I want to try this recipe for gan bian si ji dou sometime this week. 

Garlic - no specific plans

Lettuce - it might finally be time for some shalotta. or else salads because we all know I'm lazy.

Bell peppers - these are going in to these black beans (the recipe is for soup, but I'm planning on cutting down the liquids).  

JalapeƱos - I'm hoping to make this corn salad soon, which needs a jalapeno, so here's hoping I get some corn next week. I don't know about the other one, but I definitely want to pickle some before the end of the summer. 

Tomatoes - I'm thinking about using my cherry tomatoes in this quick salsa. This leek and tomato tart looks like a delicious use of my slicers. 

Thyme - no plans for it this week (other than letting them start to dry out), but this tea thyme soda looks lovely for later. 

Zucchini - I still haven't made any zucchini noodles yet, but this green chile miso pesto looks like a great sauce for it. It'll also use up the basil I got this week. 

It was my birthday this past Wednesday, and this birthday month is already off to a great start. My brother bought me a stand mixer (!!) that I will be christening with this milk bread and these liege waffles, both of which I haven't made yet because I hate kneading in butter by hand. I'm hosting a taco party next weekend, and then I'm going camping in the Upper Peninsula the weekend after! (I'm doing my best to take advantage of the summer before it turns gross and cold.) I tend to fall behind on using up my veggies when I've got weekend plans, but I'm hoping that feeding others will help even things out. 

No comments: