Thursday, July 28, 2016

CSA 2016 | Week 7

Recap of last week:
what's left: all the cucumber, eggplant, bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, zucchini 
good things: sour cherries. A couple friends and I drove up to Door County this past weekend to pick our fill of Montmorency cherries (and also to drink wine and beer, and stroll through beach towns). The pitting took a while, but I hacked through it all with a safety pin. Now I've got 7 pounds of pitted cherries in my freezer, a jar-full being turned in to cocktail cherries, and the rest getting ready to go in to this crumb cake
lessons learned: if the dressing doesn't taste good by itself, don't stick it in the salad. It's not going to magically become better (especially if the salad is mostly made of things you don't enjoy, like carrots). 

Here's what came in my box this week.

Basil - more pesto.

Green beans - grilled, for sure.

Cabbage - I got the hugest head of cabbage ever - it's literally the size of my head, and 5+ pounds. I imagine I'll slowly make my way through this by eating lots of slaw. Good thing cabbage lasts for a long time in the fridge! 

Purple carrots - I got through my carrots last week by eating them with leftover spinach dip (for the dip, I use a whole 1 pound bag of frozen spinach, and add some more yogurt to compensate). Maybe I'll do something similar this week? Although it seems rude not to do something fancier to appreciate these carrots in all their purpley-ness.

Garlic & Scallions - no specific plans

Lettuce - just a small head this week, so it'll be easy to use up in salads like usual. 

Cucumbers - I've got so many cucumbers hanging out in my fridge. I may just make batch upon batch of this cucumber agua fresca to deal with them. 

Tomatoes - the slicers are going on bread with mayo and flaky salt again - they're too good not to. I'm thinking about trying to blister the cherry tomatoes in my grill pan, and stick them on pizza. 

Zucchini - I just got one zucchini this week, to add to the couple I have left from last week. This recipe for grilled vegetables with za'atar dressing vinaigrette looks simple and delicious. 

Not a very exciting week planned, but hopefully I'll still get through a good amount of these veggies. 
In unrelated news, I discovered the Wisconsin Sheep and Wool Festival on the internet the other day, and it seems like my idea of a good time. I'm excited to check it out!

No comments: