Wednesday, September 18, 2013

care packages

I LOVE sending care packages. At least until I end up at the post office and am surprised at how expensive it is to ship things these days. But no matter, because the act of finding (or baking) a bunch of goodies and putting it all together in a box is a pretty awesome task.
a care package for a friend in the middle of med school exam week


The process:
Step 1. Find your shipping vessel.  Boxes are common, and for good reason.  Especially if you're shipping cross-country and/or super heavy things, the USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate boxes are definitely the way to go.  BUT WAIT.  Don't limit yourself to geometric objects. Because I just found out that you can mail piƱatas.  Hello?! Best idea ever or best idea ever?


Step 2: Find/bake/make your goodies. I have been known to hoard things until it is time for care packages. For example, I bought this Darth Vader and Son book (so cute! for all ages! aka I want one for myself) in August in Philadelphia while dropping off my brother at school, took it back with me to Boston, and kept it until October when I finally mailed it back out to my brother. Yeah, I know. The things I do for care packages.
I still don't actually know what kinds of baked goods work/ don't work when mailing, because no one has ever given me feedback. So good luck.
I also love including something unexpected and fun in care packages, whether it's giant paperclips, a couple sparkler candlers, or zip-ties I found for $1 at Target.



Step 3. Pack and decorate. To go along with the theme of unexpected and fun, I've started adding homemade garlands to the box flaps, as a little surprise when they're opening their package. A boring box is no fun. Add some pizzaz! Sharpies, washi tape, and stickers are some of my go-to faves.

garland, mini clothespins, a picture of my cat, and a handwritten note

Step 4. Go forth and ship.

I am now 1 down and 9 more to go on #70 of my 101 in 1001 list. If only I started my list 2 weeks earlier; then I could have added another 3 care packages to my lists.

I also completed my first task on the list today! Like the first task in the Tri-Wizard Tournament, a lot of heat was involved. But more on that tomorrow.

No comments: