Friday, June 17, 2016

CSA 2016 | Week 1

I decided to invest in a CSA once again this year, even though I ended up wasting a good amount of veggies last year (trying to get through pounds and pounds of carrots in the fall was painful). This year, I chose a smaller, more regular share, so hopefully that'll help. I'm also trying harder to plan out meals, so I figured I'd document that here.

Ridgeland Harvest delivers to my work on Thursday afternoons, and I imagine I'll use Saturday's farmers market to supplement the rest of what I need.

Here's what came in my box this week.


Lettuce - no specific plans; this'll just go in various salads. If I ever do get sick of salads, I want to try this recipe for shalotta.

Radishes - a couple will definitely be eaten plain with a slathering of fancy salted butter. The rest will end up in salads and wherever else I can shove them. Maybe I'll make the salad part of this recipe.

Beets - the greens will get wilted down and eaten with eggs, in stir frys, etc. Not sure about the beets, other than salads - maybe I'll quick-pickle them.

Strawberries - a good number are already in my belly. Another cup or so made it in to these strawberry rhubarb crisp bars (the rest of the rhubarb is going in this lemonade). The rest is going in to this genius sorbet (with a whole lemon, pith and all!).

Fennel - the fronds are going in to these double fennel dumplings, although I'm going to need to find a different meat (beef? turkey?) since I'm trying to stop eating pork. No idea about the fennel bulb.

Shallots - I'm thinking this lemon-caper dressing, for all of those salads I've got in my future.

Until I put this list together, I wasn't aware of how much salad I was planning on eating. Definitely not a bad thing, though - the weather is hot enough that I don't want to turn on the oven or stove too often. Happy eating!

No comments: