Friday, June 24, 2016

CSA 2016 | Week 2

Recap of last week:
what's left: some lettuce and beet greens. also a couple roasted beets and radish top pesto.
good things: those strawberry rhubarb crisp bars made a wonderful breakfast with some yogurt.
lessons learned: if I want to bring lunch to work, I need to pack it the night before.

Here's what came in my box this week.


Strawberries - this streusel cake looks lovely and easy. these shortcakes look even easier.

Bok choy - one head is going in to fried rice, and the other is going in to these veggie dumplings, but with the green onions instead of ramps.

Lettuce, red romaine - more salads, of course, like this one with avocado and chickpeas. I'll shove some more in spring rolls (I made a quick batch last week with some roasted beets and sauteed beet greens, and it was surprisingly good).

Broccoli - this pesto is an oldie but goodie. Maybe I'll try this slaw this week instead.

Radishes, English breakfast - my mom does this thing where she salts sliced radishes for ten minutes, rinses them, and tosses them some soy sauce dressing thing. I'm sure I'll also finish off the rest of my fancy butter with some of these as well.

Cilantro - it's a small bunch, so I'll be eating it all chopped and lightly dressed with some soy sauce and sesame oil. I used to eat this on weekends with porridge; my mom usually made a bowl for herself and my brother and I would end up stealing it from her and eating it all.

Garlic scapes - I'm hearing that they're great grilled. Would a grill pan suffice? I guess we'll try it out.

Pea shoots - this one's easy - all pea shoots need are a quick sauté with garlic and salt, and white rice to eat it with.

It's looking like a week of my parents' recipes, and things I ate while growing up. It'll be a nice throwback.
I'm off to the Renegade Craft Fair in Chicago tomorrow, and hoping to come home with some wooden bowls. Wish me (and my wallet) luck.

No comments: