Monday, October 7, 2013

baked eggs with chanterelles

I don't know what to talk about here.  I could, because it's October, talk about Halloween. I'm currently completely stumped on costumes, but definitely inspired for how to decorate the house (since I'm ridiculously scared of everything, we're going for cute). Or I could talk about my friend Harriet who's absolutely in love with mushrooms, and walks around muttering "'shrooms. give me some 'shrooms" like a crazy person. Or I could talk about Emma Approved, which just started. I'm currently in the middle of #50 of my 101 in 1001 list, where I'm not watching tv for six months, but I've decided that Emma Approved doesn't count, because it's a web series. Anyways, I just watched it, and don't really know how I feel about it, unlike the Lizzie Bennet Diaries which I'm pretty sure I fell in love with immediately. I'll give it a couple more episodes.


Chanterelles, on the other hand, are pretty great. They're usually harder to find than the usual portobellos, creminis, or white button mushrooms, and definitely more expensive, so they're more of a splurge food. Luckily for me, Costco happened to stock these chanterelles the last time I visited, so I picked up a package.  And in true Costco fashion, the pound of mushrooms will probably last me all week. Definitely not complaining.


Many recipes that I've found tend to be pretty heavy, with lots of cream and starch. I tried to stay away from that for this first dish (although I'm sure I'll try out this pasta recipe that looks heavenly), and ended up just baking the chanterelles with an egg. Simple and delicious.


Baked eggs with chanterelles

Sauté the sliced chanterelles in olive oil with some minced garlic, sliced green onion, salt and pepper until soft but not mushy.
Butter the ramekin. Season the bottom with a pinch of salt and pepper. Pour in a dash of heavy cream, and layer the mushrooms on top. Sprinkle with some chopped parsley and shredded parmesan. Crack an egg on top, and season with more salt and pepper.
Bake at 350F until the white is set and the yolk is still soft, about 10-12 min.
Sprinkle with more parmesan, and serve immediately with toast.

Enjoy!

No comments: